Early Career Canadian Urban Leaders demonstrate leadership potential and capacity and are in the first 10 years of their current career path. Each year the School of Cities invites applicants for Early Career Canadian Urban Leader and, following the application process, applications are reviewed by the Appointments Committee.
Early Career Canadian Urban Leaders have the opportunity to participate in the School of Cities community in the following ways:
- Propose and lead programs, events and activities;
- Contribute to the publications and knowledge products of the School of Cities;
- Work, meet and host on University of Toronto campus;
- Attend events, roundtables, seminars, and symposia organized by the School of Cities;
- Receive mentorship from Canadian Urban Leaders and Urbanists-in-Residence;
- Receive a stipend of $50,000 CAD, to be in-residence at the School of Cities;
- Engage with students, staff, and faculty to support research, capacity-building, outreach, event coordination and communications.
In March 2023, Chiyi Tam, Executive Director, Kensington Market Community Land Trust, joined the School of Cities as our 2023-24 Early Career Canadian Urban Leader.